- This document is designed to instruct the reviewer on how to assess Windows Vista configurations in a Windows domain. In addition, the security settings recommended can also be used to configure Group Policy in a Windows Active Directory environment.
- DISA Field Security Operations-
Sites are required to secure the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system in accordance with DoD Directive 8500.1, Section 4.18 (and related footnote). The checks in this document were developed from DISA and NSA guidelines specified in the above reference, as well as the Windows Server 2003/XP/Vista security guides and security templates published by the Microsoft Corporation.
- The settings in this checklist are directed towards securing a native Windows environment (i.e. Windows 2000 or later OSs). If the environment is a mixed one, with down-level OSs, or maintains trusts with down-level OSs, then the following checks should be reviewed. Configuring them to the required setting could cause compatibility problems.
- NIST checklist record last modified on 04/14/2014
* This checklist is still undergoing review for inclusion into the NCP at this tier ranking.